Saturday, December 21, 2013

Twisting of Grimm Tales


   Free eBook Unenchanted: An Unfortunate Fairy Tale by Chanda Hana is the first in the series. This is the only in the series that is free and unless the second one becomes free I don't plan on getting it.

   I felt this book had a lot of potential it put a new twist on the Grimm Tales by making them a curse for the Grimm family descendants to have to complete the tales. And so when the curse, 'THE STORY', finds Mina Grime, seemingly ordinary high school girl, however unpopular, unnoticed, and has one friend, and has a crush, of course, on the cutest guy at school. Mina finds out she's not so ordinary after all, she is in fact a descendant of non other than the Grimm brothers themselves.
   However I was disappointed with it, it lacked the since of realism and adventure for me. There were several things that bugged me about it, like for one Brody Carmichael, Mina's crush, is apparently from old money, his family is the richest in the state, now let me ask you why if this family is so rich, and get in the press often, would they have their son in a 'Public School'? Don't richer than rich people put their kids in a private or boarding school, that's where every know rich family I've ever heard of did, I couldn't quite get pasted that. I would of just had him be the son of some business owner or something, have money yes, but to be the richest in the state no. It was constantly said how broke Mina's family was that her mom cant even get her a cell, yet it was said that anytime something strange would happen, i.e. the story finding Mina, that she packed up and left, I get saving money for a rainy day, hack I do that, but if you know that there is this curse and its looking for your daughter wouldn't you want her to have a cell in case ohh I don't know say the big bad wolf were to attack her. So that's two things I couldn't quite get past.

   As I said I really enjoyed the concept. You can't look at the cover and not tell there's some kind of red riding hood thing that's going to go on but at the beginning it seemed to lead to Cinderella, I'll give you one guess why, so I thought ohh it put both of them together somehow and I was excited to see how that was going to work out. Even after her mom tells her about the curse and she tells her mom that she wants to face it and stop running, for the sake of her brother, Mina still thinks that if she tells her mom anything that she'll pack up everything and go, when I felt that she should talk to her because she was married to her dad, who died on one of the tales, and so knows some things. I get some of the reason why she doesn't want to tell her mom everything its because she already went through 'The Story' in a way and to have to go through it again, but that's not the main reason she doesn't tell her anything.
   In light of making it seem like this book wasn't to my liking, and though I knew that one day I  would eventually write a review for a book I didn't care for, I hate the idea of saying a book was bad, in fact I would never say that simply because the author had the imagination and took the time to write-and complete-a story which takes dedication, I cant say I didn't completely disliked it when the fact is I did like some things. Her friend Nan is so funny, there are a lot of times where I laughed. There's some action throughout the book but the best or it is at the end.
Not every tale has a happy ending. In fact, many of them are grim.
   If there was any reason to read it, it would be for the end there are a few twists I can honestly say I didn't see coming, and thought it was great how we got the save 'grandma' part of red riding hood, and finally, Finally, Mina stop questioning everything, steps up and goes with her gut to do what she knows she has to do and how to do it. I know I didn't give a whole lot away and I said I wouldn't continue with the series unless the other books become free as well but I think Brody will have more parts of 'The Story' than what he played in this book.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *