Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Doppelganger

   I got this book called Warrior by Marie Brennan a few years ago and not long ago is when I got around to reading it (you'll most like see that with a lot of reviews as most the books I own I've had since my last big book haul). It was originally publish with the title Doppelganger, dont ask me why it got changed I dont know maybe for the sequel to come out, or it changed publishers not sure, yes I did say sequel which is called Witch and sadly I do not have that book, yet, but I really enjoyed Warrior and am looking forward to finding Witch. Since I finished Warrior I have been moderately looking for Witch its to old a book I think to be at Target or Walmart though the few times I've been didnt stop me from looking, and B&N hasnt had it in there store. If I dont find it soon I think I'll be ordering it online. I should of just went with my instinct and got both of them when I got the first one because if memory serves me right they were both there, but alas I didnt because I didnt know if I would like Warrior I should of known that I would like it though, how dump, and its about witches and magic two of my favorite things and just looking at the cover you can see its gotta be about a strong woman.
 
    Its a fantasy adventure. And love the fact that it has not one but two strong heroines. I felt like I was there sometimes and that is the best thing for me if I can feel like I'm in the story and see it, and thats what this book did it took me on an adventure. The story is set in a world where magic rules and worships the different forms of the goddess. It goes between Mirage a bounty hunter and Miryo a witch. Mirage along with year mate, aka class mate, Eclipse, go on a mission to find why and who had a Heart Key, a high rank of witch, was assassinated. Miryo is witch who is just coming to age to do her initiation of get her full power. She finds out that she cant use and control her full power because:
"When a witch is born, a doppelganger is created. For the witch to master her powers, the twin mush be killed. But what happens when the doppelganger survives?"
   Miryo now needs to find and kill her doppelganger, Mirage. Only when she finds her she cant do it they make an agreement that they'll try and find a way for the both of them to live.
  "So how about this? We promise not to kill each other. Instead, we look for other answers, other ways out of this they may have ignored or missed" She  paused, biting her lip as she watched the other woman's reaction. "And if it looks like time is running out, we'll reconsider."
   Mirage and Eclipse still need to find out why a high rank witch was killed along the way they all find out that the reason she was killed is a common link to finding out how to save the life of the doppelganger.

   There was action within the first three pages. There was witty dialog ten pages in. Theres adventure, magic, political struggle, challenges and conflicts the characters must face. I'm finding myself rereading some parts so that I can give you a better review other than just telling you what its about and that I enjoyed. However at the same time I don't want to put very many spoilers in here for those who haven't read it. I love the ending and if I tell you it'll spoil it if you haven't read it. It doesn't necessarily end with a cliffhanger but it can definitely be taken into the next book. And though Mirage and Eclipse are like brother and sister, I think I could see Miryo have a liking for Eclipse and though they are the same person I wonder if anything happens in the sequel.
 
   Its got strong characters, both main and supporting, good detail as far as the settings, looks, and events. Often times you'll get inner thoughts of either Mirage or Miryo, combined with the dialog some is witty or funny or threatening, and my favorite as I am often time too, sarcastic.
  It had been three years since Mirage visited Silverfire, and a full five since she had lived there, but she still remembered every tree and stone in the lands surrounding the compound. 
  I bloody well ought to. We spent enough time doing training exercises out here.   
    Note if you get this book there is a glossary in the back explaining a few terms or who and what  people are or places.



Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *